- M.B.B.S. – S.M. Medical College, Jodhpur – University of Rajasthan – 1995
- M.S.(Gen. Surgery) – S.M.S. Medical College, Jaipur – University of Rajasthan – 2000
- M.Ch.(Cardipthoracic Surgery) – Christian Medical College, Vellore, India – Dr. M.G.R. Medical University – 2004
General Surgical Experience :
I started my surgical career when I joined as a post-graduate resident in the Department of Surgery in S.M.S. Medical College, Jaipur. It consisted of 3 years of residential training including a year in related specialities. I was exposed to a wide variety of general surgical cases and was trained well to perform surgeries independently.
As I had a great desire to become a Cardiothoracic surgeon, I thought of no better place than the reputed Christian Medical College and I applied and was selected to join the Cardiothoracic department here.
Cardiothoracic Surgery Experience :
I have assisted in over 1500 cardiothoracic operations which includes a wide variety of adult and pediatric cardiac surgery during my residency period.
Foe the past 6 years I have been operating independently in the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore. I have been predominantly involved with adult cardiac surgery. This includes CABG’s, single and double valve replacements and tricuspid repairs. I have assisted in various simple and complex congenital heart operations which include ASD, VSD Repairs, TOF Repair, PDA Closures, TAPVC and TGA
CMC Hospital being a training institute, at any given time we have 9 trainee cardiothoracic registrars with us. My responsibilities in addition to operating include supervising the post graduate trainees, assisting trainees in surgical procedures and overseeing post op ICU management. I have been involved in regular academic work such as besides clinics, journal clubs, teaching rounds and guiding trainees in research work and dissertations for the MCh Cardiothoracic course. A list of my publications to date has been included.
We also have various other trainees-perfusion students, Physiotherapists, nurses and medical students for whom we take regular teaching sessions.
Teaching Experience :
Our institution is one of the few training centers in India for the Cardiothoracic speciality. I take an active part in the training of our registrars. I take them through surgeries like ASD closures, pericardiostomies, saphenous vein and radial artery harvesting. We have General Surgery post-graduate registrars rotating through us. I take part in training them too.
I also take an active part in giving lectures and in taking besides clinics for our cardiothoracic trainees, post-graduate and undergraduate students. I am involved in the department’s academic activities like seminars, journal clubs, clinical meetings and teaching rounds. Every once in a while I have to take lectures for our perfusionist trainees, nurses, nursing students, physiotherapy and occupational therapy students
- Pseudoaneurysm of Ascending Aorta Following Aortic Valve Replacement. Bhawna Parihar, Lalit Choudhary, Madhu Andrew Philip, Mathew K. Alpha, Roy Thankachen, Vinayak Shukla. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2005; 79:705 -707
- Empyema necessitans at the suprasteranal region region of neck – images. Birla Roy Gnanamuthu, Prabhakar Veeraiyan, Vinay Rao Murahari, Lalit Kumar Choudhary(July-September2012)28(3):199-200
- Disseminated echinoccosis of the lung and central compartment of the neck. Nischal Rajendra Pandya, Paul M.J, Lalit Choudhary, Birla Roy Gnanamuthu, Kochu Krishnan, Joshua Franklyn, Jyoti prasad kalita. World J Endoc surgery 2013;5(1),25-27
- Unusual presentation of extraordinary tumour: Thymolipoma. Lalit Choudhary, Jyoti prasad Kalita, Ray George, Birla Roy Gnanamuthu, Gayathri. CMC Alumni Journal.2013, Volume – 46,25-27
- Staphylcoccus Aureus Tricuspid Valve Endocarditis in a Neonate – Images Birla Roy Gnanamuthu, Vinay Rao, Lalit Choudhary, Prabhakar Veeraiyan, Mustafa Singapurwala. Indian Journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery.(March 2014, Volume 30, Issue 1, PP 52-53)
- Embolization on the device of the left pulmonary artery after the interventional closure of ruptured sinus of Valsalva aneurysm. Lalit Choudhary, Vinay M Rao, Birla Roy Gnanamuthu, Vishal Agrawal, Ravishankar, Ramprassath(The Korean Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Manuscript accepted on 03-03-2015)
- Late complication of a chest wall injury – image of internal mammary artery pseudoaneurysm. Ramprassath Muthampati Siddhan, Lalit Choudhary, Birla Roy Gnanamuthu, Rinett Sebastian and Chengalath monoras Mathew, Indian Journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery. DOI 10.1007/s12055-015-0372-7