Dr Mazda K. Turel completed his degree in medicine (MBBS) from Grant Medical College and Sir JJ groups of Hospitals in Mumbai, and went on to pursue an MCh degree in Neurosurgery from the prestigious Christian Medical College in Vellore, India. He was awarded the Jacob Chandy Gold Medal at his graduation – a distinction that has been conferred previously to just 4 other recipients since it’s institution, 35 years ago. After completing his residency he visited several departments of neurosurgery across the world and earned a Diploma in Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery from Beijing, China. He then went on to complete a fellowship in skull-base surgery and neurooncology at the illustrious Toronto Western Hospital, Canada and another fellowship in minimally invasive and complex spine surgery at the Rush University in Chicago, USA. Dr Mazda K. Turel earned his specialization in cerebrovascular surgery, with an emphasis on arterial bypasses in the brain, from the Huashan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, China.
Dr Mazda K. Turel is a practicing Neurosurgeon at the prestigious Wockhardt Hospitals, South Mumbai, India. He is also an Honorary Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery at the Grant Medical College and Sir J.J. Groups of Hospitals. He specializes in the treatment of diseases of the brain and spine and advocates an approach to neurosurgery that is both balanced and aggressive. His prolific clinical research has garnered several academic accolades both nationally and internationally and has resulted in numerous publications in esteemed scientific journals. Dr Turel’s practice style is hugely collaborative. He strongly believes that incorporation of patients, their families and the medical staff as members of his team allows patients the best possible outcome and speediest recovery.
Consultant Neurosurgeon at the Wockhardt Hospitals, Mumbai Central
Honorary Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery at the Grant Medical College and Sir J.J. Groups of Hospitals
- Complex brain tumor surgery in adults and children
- Endoscopic surgery for skullbase tumors, hydrocephalus and deep-seated brain tumors
- Cerebrovascular and bypass surgery
- Epilepsy Surgery
- Surgery for craniofacial pain syndrome such as trigeminal neuralgia, hemifacial spasm and glossopharyngeal neuralgia
- Surgery for Traumatic brain injury
- Craniovertebral junctions surgery
- Minimally invasive spine surgery for degenerative conditions such as spondylosis and herniated disc, spinal tumors and infection, tuberculosis and spinal deformity
Awards & Achievements
2003 March Represented Grant Medical College and was the Key Note speaker in the Inter College Symposium at the 58th Bombay Medical Congress. Secured 2nd place for a presentation on” Stem cells- Revolution in a dish”
2004 March Honored by Zoroastrian Student Teacher Association for completion of MBBS with 5 distinctions
2008 April Urinary Hemosiderine : Role in evaluation of Venous Ulcer. Presented at National conference on Venous Disease (VAICON 2008) Chennai, India . The paper was awarded as one of the three best papers of the meeting.
2010 December The effect of pre-treatment with a tyrosine kinase inhibitor (PP1) on brain oedema and neurological function in an automated cortical cryoinjury model in mice. Presented at the 2nd annual research day at CMC, Vellore . This poster presentation was awarded the second prize.
2011 December Quality of life following vestibular schwannoma surgery for large and giant tumors Mazda Turel, Prasanna Samuel, VedantamRajshekar. Presented by Mazda Turel at the Joint Meeting of the 60th Annual conference of the Neurological Society of India and Italian society of neurosurgeons. This paper was awarded the best paper in Neurosurgery.
2012 November Awarded the Jacob Chandy Gold Medal for best student in MCh Neurosurgery. The 5th recipient of this prestigious award in 30 years.
2013 February Awarded the Dr. S. Kalyanaraman Endowment Gold Medal by the Institute of Neurology, Madras Medical college for outstanding performance in Neurosurgery.
2013 February Awarded by the Zoroastrian Student Teacher Association for competition of MCh. Neurosurgery with Honours.
2013 November Reduction in range of cervical motion with serial long-term follow-up in patients undergoing oblique corpectomy for cervical myelopathy. First prize for poster presented at the 4th CMC Annual Research Day.
2014 December Best paper published in Neurosurgery submitted to the journal “Neurology India” in 2012 awarded at the 63rd annual conference of Neurological Society in India in December 2014 in Coimbatore, India.
Memberships & Affiliations
Medical Council of India (2005/04/2506)
Tamil Nadu Medical Council (77387)
Life member of the Neurological Society of India (TNS 45)
Life member of the Indian Society of Neuro-oncology (ISNO-217)
Walter E. Dandy Neurosurgical Society
Life member of the Bombay Neurosciences Association
- Turel MK, Stephen E, Nayak S, Agarwal S. Venous aneurysms – a neglected pathology, Central European Journal of Medicine 2008;3:503-4
- Turel MK, Kumar PP, Stephen E, Agarwal S. A 10-year experience of managing acute limb ischaemia in India. National Medical Journal of India 2008;21:225-28
- Ganesamoni R, Turel MK, Agarwal S, Stephen E, Moses V, Mammen T. Controlled study of conventional surgery and ultrasound guided foam sclerotherapy for the treatment of primary SVI of lower limbs. Journal of Hainan Medical College 2009;15:725-28
- Arnold D, Bit N, Turel MK, Shyamkumar NK, Stephen E, Agarwal S. Efficacy of preoperative embolization in management of carotid body tumours-a pilot study. Central European Journal of Medicine
- Yacob M, Stephen E, Bit N, Turel MK, Sadhu D, Agarwal S. Risk factors for peripheral arterial disease in the tropics and its comparison with the western population. Asian Pacific of Tropical Medicine 2010;3:407-9
- Turel MK, Chacko AG. Delayed resolution of extensive T2-Weighted intramedullary signal changes after oblique corpectomy of cervical spondylotic myelopathy. British Journal of Neurosurgery 2011;25:772-74
- Singh V, Turel MK, Chacko G, Joseph V, Rajshekhar V. Supratentorial extra-axial anaplastic ependymoma mimicking a meningioma. Neurology India 2012;60:111-13
- Turel MK, Moorthy RK, Rajshekhar V. Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis subdural empyema with secondary methicillin – resistant Staphylococcus India 2012;60:231-34
- Turel MK, Joseph V, Singh V, Moses V, Rajshekhar V. Primary telangiectatic osteosarcoma of the cervical spine. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine 2012;60:378-8
- Turel MK, Asha HS, Rajaratnam S, Chacko G, Chacko AG. Thyroid stimulating hormone microadenoma as a rare cause of thyrotoxicosis amenable to surgical cure. Journal of Neuroscience 2012;19:887-88
- Chacko AG, Joseph M, Turel MK, Prabhu K, Daniel RT, Jacob KS. Multilevel oblique corpectomy for cervical spondylotic myelopathy preserves segmental motion. European Spine Journal 2012;21:1360-67
- Joseph M, Turel MK, Head injury induced diagnostic error. The Tamil Nadu MGR university Med-e Journal 2012;2:2
- Turel MK, Chacko G, Raja A, Schiethaeur BW. Neurocristic cutaneous hamartoma of the scalp. Journal of Pediatric Neuroscience 2012;7:181-4
- Turel MK, Moorthy RK, Sam GA, Samuel P, Muthukumar M, Babu S, Rajshekhar V. Effect of pre-treatment with a tyrosine kinase inhibitor (PP1) on brain oedema and neurological function in automated cortical cryoinjury model in mice. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 2013;20:593-6
- Turel MK, Rajshekhar V: Sphenoid Sinus Tuberculosis – A rare cause of visual dysfunction in an adolescent girl. Neurology India 2013;61:179-80
- Turel MK, Sarkar S, Prabhu K, Daniel RT, Jacob KS, Chacko AG. Reduction in range of cervical motion with serial long-term follow up in patients undergoing oblique corpectomy for cervical myelopathy. European Spine Journal 2013;22:1509-16
- Turel MK, Rajshekhar V : Primary spinal extra-osseous intradural mesenchymal chondrosarcoma in a young boy. Journal of Pediatric Neuroscience 2013;8:111-2
- Turel MK, Chacko G, Chacko AG : Interhemispheric neurenteric cyst. Neurol India 2013;61:563-5
- Chacko AG, Joseph M, Turel MK, Prabhu K, Daniel RT, Jacob K.S Answer to the Letter to the Editor of J.M. Duart Clemente et al. concerning “multilevel oblique corpectomy of cervical spondylotic myelopathy preserves segmental motion. European Spine Journal 2013;22:2122
- Chacko AG, Turel MK, Sarkar S, Prabhu K, Daniel RT. Clinical and radiological outcomes in 153 patients undergoing oblique corpectomy for cervical spondylotic myelopathy. British Journal of Neurosurgery 2014;28:49-55
- Turel MK, Babu KS, Singh G, Chacko AG: The utility of facial nerve amplitude and latency ratios in predicting postoperative facial nerve function after vestibular schwannoma surgery. Neurology India 2014;62:178-182
- Sarkar S, Turel MK, Jacob KS, Chacko AG. Postoperative evolution of T2-weighted intramedullary signal changes following the oblique cervical corpectomy for cervical spondylotic myelopathy. Journal of Neurosurgery 2014;21:538-546
- Turel MK, Rakshekhar V. MR localization with cod-liver oil capsules for minimally invasive approach to small intradural extramedullary tumors of the thoraco-lumbar spine; a technical report. Journal of Neurosurgery Spine. 2014 Dec;21:882-5
- Turel MK, Thakar S, Rajshekhar V. Quality of life following surgery for large and giant vestibular schwannomas – A prospective study. Neurology India 2015;63:77-82
- Patel B, Chacko G, Anandan J, Nair S, Chacko AG, Rajshekhar V, Turel MK. Clinicopathological Correlates Of Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma: Experience From A Tertiary Care Centre In South India. Neurology India 2015;63:77-82
- Turel MK, Chacko AG : Postoperative arachnoid cyst causing visual deterioration following transsphenoidal excision of 164 patients. Neurology India 2015;63:274-276
- Turel MK, Prashant W, Rajshekhar V : Hemilaminectomy approach for intradural extrameduallary spinal tumors : An analysis of 164 patients. Neurosurgery Focus 2015;39(2):E9
- Sridhar K, Turel MK, Sharma PK, Garg RK. A summary of some of the recently published seminal papers in Neuroscience. Neurol India. 2015;63:947-975
- Sridhar K, Turel MK, Kumar N, Garg RK, Paliwal V, Das KK, Mehrotra A. A summary of some of the recently published papers in Neuroscience. Neurol India. 2016;64:137-51
- Turel MK, Bernstein M : Outpatient Neurosurgery. Expert Rev Neurother. 2016;16:425-36
- Sridhar K, Turel MK, Bhoi SK, Das KK, Mehrotra A. A summary of some of the recently published seminal papers in Neuroscience. Neurol India. 2016;64:311-324
- Sridhar K, Turel MK, Mukherjee KK, Tripathi M, Singh V, Das KK, Mehrotra A. A summary of some of the recently published seminal papers in neuroscience . Neurol India. 2016;64:524-41
- Turel MK, Chin CJ, Vescan AD, Gentili F. Chronic Rhinosinusitis with Massive Polyposis Causing Proptosis Requiring Craniofacial resection. J Craniofac Surg. 2016;27:e348-50
- Turel MK, Tsermoulas G, Reddy D, Andrade-Barazarte H, Gentili F. Endonasal endoscopic transsphenoidal excision of tuberculum sellae meningiomas : a systematic review. J Neurosurg Sci. 2016;60:463-75
- Turel MK, Rajshekhar V: Letter to editor : Wrong level surgery for intradural thoracic spinal tumour. Br J Neurosurg 2016 Aug;30:468-9.
- Sridhar K, Paliwal V, Kohat AK, Takkar A, Yadav R, Turel MK, Tripathi M, Das KK, Mehrotra A. A Summary of some of the recently published, seminal papers in neuroscience. Neurol India. 2016;64:758-781
- Turel MK, Chin CJ, Vescan AD, Gentili F. Vascularized Nasoseptal Flap for Medical Orbital Wall Reconstruction. J Craniofac Surg. J Craniofac Surg. 2016;27:1532-4
- Turel MK, Kucharczyk W, Gentili F. Optic nerve hemangioblastomas – A review of visual outcomes. Turk Neurosurg. 2016 Feb 5 (Epub ahead of print)
- Sridhar K, Tripathi M, Yadav R, Takkar A, Turel MK, Das KK, Mehrotra A. A summary of some of the recently published
- Turel MK, Bernstein M. Is outpatient brain tumor surgery feasible in India? Neurol India. 2016,64:886-95
- Kerolus M, Turel MK, Tan L, Deutsch H. Stand-alone anterior lumbar interbody fusion: indications, techniques, surgical outcomes and complications. Expert Rev Med Devices. 2016;13:1127-1136
- Sridhar K, Turel MK, Tripathi M, Yadav R, Takkar A, Das KK, Mehrotra A, Malhotra HS. A summary of some of the recently published, seminal papers in neuroscience. Neurol India. 2016;64:1285-1302
- Turel MK, Kiehl TR, Gentili F. Extracranial temporal carvernous hemangioma: Differential diagnosis, and a review of literature. Neurol India. 2016 Nov-Dec;64(6):1347-1351
- Turel MK, Kiehl TR, Gentili F. Delayed hemorrhage after surgery and radiation in suprasellar pilocytic astrocytomas. J Pediatr Neurosci. 2016;11:170-174
- Turel MK, Tsermoulas G, Gonen L, Klironomos G, Almeida JP, Zadeh G, Gentili F. Management and outcome of recurrent adult craniopharyngiomas: an analysis of 42 cases with long-term follow-up. Neurosurg Focus. 2016 Dec;41(6):E11
- Turel MK, Tsermoulas G, Yassin- Kassab A, Reddy D, Andrade-Barazarte H, Gonen L, Zadeh G, Gentili F. Tuberculum sellae meningiomas: a systematic review of transcranianl approaches in the endoscopic era. J Neurosurg 2016 Nov 30 [Epub ahead of print]
- Andrade-Barazarte H, Jagersberg M, Belkhair S, Tymianski R, Turel MK, Schaller K, Hernesniemi JA, Tymianski M, Radovanovic I. The Extended Lateral Supraorbital Approach and Extradural Anterior Clinoidectomy through a Franto-perio-orbital Window: Technical Note and Pilot Surgical Series”. World Neurosurg. 2016 Dec 29. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sridhar K, Turel MK, Tripathi M, Yadav R, Takkar A, Das KK, Mehrotra A. A summary of some of the recently published, seminal papers in neuroscience. Neurol India. 2017; 65(1):152-164
- Turel MK, Bernstein M. Author’s Reply: Resurgence of day care surgery in Neurosurgery. Neurol India. 2017 Jan-Feb ; 65(1): 230-232
- Turel MK, Kerolus MG, Adogwa O, Traynelis VC. Cervical arthroplasty: what does the labeling say? Neurosurg Focus. 2017 Feb; 42(2):E2.
- Turel MK, Kerolus MG, Deutsch H. The role of minimally invasive spine surgery in the management of pyogenic spinal discitis. J Craniovertebr Junction Spine. 2017 Jan-Mar; 8(1):39-43
- Pandey P, Turel MK, Tripathi M, Yadav R, Srijithesh PR, Takkar A, Mehta S, Das KK, Mehrotra A. A summary of some of the recently published, seminal papers in neuroscience. Neurol India. 2017 Mar- Apr; 65(2): 360-372.
- Turel MK, Kucharczyk W, Gentili F. Spontaneous resolution of colloid cyst of the third ventricle: Implications for management. Asian J Neurosurg. 2017Apr- Jun; 12(2):203-206
- Sridhar K, Turel MK, Tripathi M, Yadav R, Srijithesh PR, Takkar A, Mehta S, Das KK, Mehrotra A. A summary of some of the recently published seminal papers in neuroscience. Neurol India. 2017 May – Jun; 65(3): 607-619
- Kerolus MG, Turel MK, O’Toole JE. An Unusual Presentation of Tapia Syndrome Mimicking a Partial Wallenberg Syndrome Following Anterior Cervical Spine Surgery. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 2017 Jun 30.
- Turel MK, Kerolus MG, Deutsch H Intradural spinal arachnoid cyst- A complication of lumbar epidural steroid injection. Neurol India. 2017 Jul- Aug; 65(4): 863-864.
- Sridhar K, Turel MK, Tripathi M, Yadav R, Srijithesh PR, Takkar A, Mehta S, Das KK, Mehrotra A. A summary of some of the recently published, seminal papers in neuroscience. Neurol India. 2017 Jul- Aug ; 65(4):850-862.
- Turel MK, Kerolus MG, O’Toole JE. Minimally invasive “separation surgery” plus adjuvant stereotactic radiotherapy in the management of spinal epidural metastases J Craniovertebr Junction Spine. 2017 Apr- Jun ; 8(2): 119-126
- Tsermoulas G, Turel MK, Wilcox JT, Shultz D, Farb R, Zadeh G, Bernstein M. Management of multiple meningiomas. J Neurosurg. 2017 Jul 21: 1-7 doi: 10. 3171/2017.2.JNS162608.
- Turel MK, Rajshekhar V Thoracic spinal cord tumors: WFNS spine committee book on the Thoracic spine. Editor: Ramani VS
- Turel MK, Alotaibi N, Gentili F Tuberculum Sellae Meningioma: Neurosurgery Case Review ( NSCR Q& A Second Edition) Editor:
- Turel MK and Traynelis VC. Acute Intervention for Cervical, Thoracic, and Lumbar Spinal Disc Disease. Neurosurgical Emergencies, 3rd Editor: Christopher Loftus, MD
- Turel MK and Traynelis VC: Cervical Radiculopathy. Cases in Spinal surgery. Editor: James S. Harrop. Christopher M. Maulucci and Nathan R. Selden.
- Wewel JT, Turel MK, Traynelis VS: How to revise a failed occipital cervical fusion. Revision Spine Surgery: Pearls and Pitfalls. Editors: Vaccaro AR, Schroeder GD, Baaj AA
- Turel MK, Fentili F: Craniopharyngiomas: Designing a comprehensive surgical planning. Current and Advanced Neurosurgical Concepts and Techniques, Vol. I: complex Brain Tumors and Vascular Lesions. Editor: Atul Goel
- Turel MK, Kerolus G, Fessler RG: Minimally invasive thoracic decompression. Minimally invasive Spine Surgery: Surgical techniques and disease management (2nd Edition) Editors: Frank M. Philips, Isador H. Lieberman, David W, Polly Jr, Michael Y, Wang.
- Turel MK, Kerolus G, Fessler: Thoracic Spinal endoscopy. Endoscopic procedures of the spine. Editors: Dr. Jin Sung Kim, Yong Ahn, Jun Ho Lee.
- Turel MK, Kerolus G, Traynelis VC Chapter 17: C2 neuropathy. Current and Advanced Neurosurgical Concepts and Techniques, Vol III : Craniovertebral Junction Lesions. Editor: Prof. Atul Goel
- Kerolus G, Turel MK, Fessler RG Posterior Cervical MIS Techniques. In Tender G (Ed). Spine Surgery. 1ST Edition, Springer 2017